01 Sep Protecting Your Carpet From Germs
There are tons of benefits to having carpeted flooring, but to truly reap those benefits, carpets need to be kept clean and free of germs. Unfortunately, carpets and rugs can be hotbeds for germs and allergens, which is why they need to be cleaned regularly and properly.
You may think protecting your carpet against germs isn’t a priority. But studies have shown that dirty carpets can negatively impact your indoor air quality, leading to a host of health concerns for you and your family.
Long-Term Effects of Germs in Carpets
It’s almost impossible to avoid germs completely when you’re out and about, but your home should be a sanctuary where you can feel safe and comfortable. The last thing anyone wants is to get sick from their own home, but that’s a possibility with carpets that aren’t cleaned properly.
Germs that can get stuck in your carpets include mold, dirt, pet dander, dust and old skin, among other things. Some of the common long-term effects of these germs in carpets include:
- Allergies: Allergic reactions are possibly the most common and noticeable issue resulting from a buildup of mold, dirt and other allergens in your carpet. The source of red, itchy eyes, sneezing and other allergy-like symptoms can often be traced back to the carpet. If you find yourself exhibiting more of these symptoms at home — such as waking up with a stuffy nose every morning — finding new carpet cleaning solutions should be first on your to-do list.
- Stomach illness: Mold is a nuisance, and it can lead to a host of health problems, including various stomach illnesses. Mycotoxins, which are toxic compounds that mold produces, can lead to severe stomach irritation and infection. Even salmonella can be tracked into your home and live in your carpet.
- Skin irritation: Certain skin infections and conditions can be irritated by unkempt carpets — especially skin conditions on the feet, like athlete’s foot. Eczema and other types of skin rashes can be made worse by the germs in your carpet, even if you maintain a rigorous carpet cleaning schedule. That’s because dust mites are often too small to be killed by home cleaners. Professional carpet cleaning solutions are ideal for people with skin issues.
- Asthma: Other common and noticeable symptoms of a carpet with germs are respiratory issues, like asthma. The dander, dust and mold that can fester in a carpet can make respiratory issues even worse. This is especially true for people who have weakened lungs because they are more vulnerable to the airborne particles that carpets emit.
It’s not only humans who have to worry about the long-term effects of germs in carpets. If you have pets in your home, they can be just as vulnerable to respiratory and stomach conditions. Pet waste like feces or urine that isn’t thoroughly cleaned from a carpet can lead to its own set of diseases and conditions.
Benefits of Professional Carpet Protection Services
No matter how thoroughly you clean your carpet yourself, a professional carpet protection service will be better. This is because professional cleaners are just that — professionals. They understand the different requirements of each type and size of carpet, and they know how to tackle common germs.
Common do-it-yourself carpet cleaning mistakes, like using incorrect carpet cleaning products or causing accidental staining, can be avoided when you trust professional carpet cleaners. Here are some other benefits of employing a professional carpet protection service:
- Killing dust mites: Remember how we said dust mites are generally too small to be killed with household cleaners? To naturally clean carpets, products professional cleaners use are designed to eradicate dust mites without introducing more chemicals or toxins into your home. You can say goodbye to these microscopic pests when you use a professional carpet cleaning service.
- Extending carpet life: Naturally clean carpet solutions require an understanding of the makeup of the carpet itself. Without that understanding, you could be shortening the life of your carpet without even realizing it. Professional carpet cleaners understand carpets and the different materials they’re made of, so they know how to successfully clean it without degrading its quality.
- Reducing mold growth: Moisture can get trapped in your carpet from several sources, like wet shoes or paws. When moisture settles into your carpet, it can become a breeding ground for mold and mildew. Household cleaners may not always get rid of the moisture, leaving your home at risk.
- Improving air quality: A buildup of dander, dust and other pollutants can take a toll on the air quality in your home, making it harder for your whole family to breathe. This can become especially troubling for people with respiratory issues. A professional carpet cleaning can give both your carpet and indoor air quality a boost.
How Often Should You Clean Your Carpet?
There’s no set number of times you need to be cleaning your carpet, but it’s important to make sure you include your carpet in weekly household chores. This is especially crucial if your household includes small children and pets, who often spend a lot of time on the floor. To keep germs and other pollutants at bay, it’s a good idea to maintain a rigorous cleaning routine for all areas of your home.
Generally, you should employ a professional carpet cleaning service every year or so. However, if your carpet is located in a high-traffic area or you have kids and pets who are regularly interacting with the carpet, you may want to consider professional cleanings more than once a year.
It’s also important to remember your carpet’s warranty, which may have specific instructions on how you should and should not clean to ensure it lasts a long time.
Get Professional Carpet Cleaning From Citrus Fresh Carpet Cleaning
Whether you’ve got an old carpet that needs a refresh or a brand new carpet that you want to keep looking new, Citrus Fresh Carpet Cleaning is dedicated to giving your carpet a new life. Using a safe, plant-based cleaning solution that we make in house, our unique cleaning process provides a low-moisture deep cleaning with a two-hour drying time.
Our all-inclusive, flat-rate pricing means you never have to worry about hidden costs, and we can even clean the carpeting in high-rise buildings. We’ll also leave you with a bottle of our cleaning solution so you can treat any stains or spots in between cleanings.
If you’re looking to get clean carpets in Atlanta, look no further than Citrus Fresh Carpet Cleaning — the women-owned carpet cleaners dedicated to providing top-tier customer service. Get in touch to request an instant quote or book an appointment by calling 404-606-2155 today.